My recipe of the week which has actually been around for a few years but has had some media attention this week for some reason so I thought I should give it a go! Normally it calls for 1/4 tsp or cream of tartar but I thought people were more likely to have white wine vinegar at hand.
Cloud Bread is low carb and gluten free so on point with the food trends of the moment. With only 4 ingredients they are simple and cheap to make. They consist of eggs, cream cheese and white wine vinegar with a pinch of sugar or salt thrown into the mix. I decided to make savoury cloud bread and use some of my wedding* rosemary from the garden to create a tasty burger bap.
This has got to be the quickest recipe, especially if you have a mixer.
Cloud Bread Recipe;
1/2 teaspoon of White wine vinegar
3 table spoons of Cream cheese
Optional pinch of salt or sugar
Preheat your oven to 150 degrees
- Carefully separate three eggs and place the yolks in one bowl, the whites in another
- Mix together the three egg yolks with three tablespoons of cream cheese, and an optional pinch of sugar or salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the white wine vinegar to the whites and beat on high speed until fluffy with high peaks
- Gently fold the yolks,rosemary and cream cheese into your whites.
- line two baking trays with baking paper and make 10 even rounds of the cloud dough mix.
- Bake for approx 20 mins until they are a nice golden brown
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until cold then store in an airtight container, leave overnight for extra fluffiness the next day.
Serving suggestions ;
- Top with avocado,mango chutney and crisp lettuce finished off with a handmade burger made with sausage meat and fresh diced red onions,
- Leave them plain and have them a posh gastro style sandwich with layers of crunchy lettuce, pastrami, horseradish and cucumber.
- Or go for a layered caprese type salad of mozzarella, beef tomatoes and basil drizzled with a pesto olive oil.
I have to say opting for the first serving suggestion was not a mistake, the cloud bread works really well as a burger bap and is very tasty. Its basically soufflé bread and who doesn't like soufflé? I think topping it off with grated cheese before baking would work really well too and add a bit of Worcestershire Sauce for an afternoon treat.
(and #worldnutelladay Nutella pancakes for pudding)
* For our wedding table decorations we had lavender and rosemary plants wrapped in hessian or popped into terracotta pots - quite a few went walkabouts, but we still managed to plant some in the garden.